Preventive Dentistry in La Marque, TX
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is the care given to your teeth by you and your dentist. While fillings, root canals, and other complex dental surgeries can be time-consuming and costly, preventive dentistry measures take less time and are less expensive. By taking care of your teeth daily and visiting your dentist near you twice annually, you can prevent a long list of problems such as gum disease, enamel wear, cavities, and more.
At a preventive care appointment, our dentist in La Marque, TX will give your teeth and gums a routine checkup to make sure they are healthy and strong. Your dentist will also clean your teeth, possibly give you a fluoride treatment, make recommendations for how you should be caring for your teeth, and catch any issues before they fester and grow into major problems. For children, dental sealants may be recommended to prevent cavities.
What Does Preventive Dental Care Prevent?
There are a number of problems preventive dental care can help to prevent, including:
- Gum disease
- Enamel wear
Rather than going through the uncomfortable and expensive process of getting fillings or any other complex dental procedure, preventive dental care ensures your teeth are well cared for, healthy, and that problems are spotted early.
Daily Oral Care
- The vast majority of preventive dental care isn’t performed by dentists but by you.
- Brushing your teeth twice daily (both in the morning and at night) for two minutes can greatly reduce harmful plaque buildup that leads to a host of problems and issues.
- It is also important to make sure you are using high-quality toothpaste and that you replace your toothbrush regularly—at least several times each year.
- In addition to brushing daily, the American Dental Association also recommends you floss your teeth at least once daily. Flossing every day removes bits of food from between your teeth.
- Cleaning in between your teeth with floss every day will keep your teeth from developing cavities.
Get Preventive Dental Care Near You
If preventive dental care stresses you out because you don’t have a stellar track record of caring for your teeth or visiting your dentist regularly, don’t worry, it’s never too late to start. Call or schedule an appointment with our dentist near Texas City, 77591 in La Marque, TX today for a routine checkup. You’ll get your teeth checked and learn how you can better implement effective daily preventive dental care on your own.