Types of Dental Veneers and Their Main Advantages
What are Dental Veneers?
They are tooth-shaped, tooth-colored porcelain shells used in dentistry for repairing and restoring damaged teeth. Dental experts use dental veneers, primarily in cosmetic dentistry to impact the appearance of patients’ teeth.
A unique feature of dental veneers that make them stand out from other oral appliances is that they only attach to the front surfaces of teeth. The goal is to mask the flaws of your natural teeth from the front side only instead of encapsulating an entire tooth as dental crowns. It means that dental veneers are better suited for restoring the front teeth than the back teeth.
How are Dental Veneers Used in Dentistry?
More than 25% of the procedures in cosmetic dentistry rely on dental veneers. The reason is that they are versatile oral appliances that can correct many different dental problems. Some of them include the following:
- Spaces between teeth – small spaces between teeth do not always need braces and bands to close. A dentist can use dental veneers to close the gaps between your teeth.
- Dental discoloration – dental veneers can be an effective way to brighten and whiten your teeth. Since they are tooth-colored, you can select a whiter shade than the initial color of your teeth to whiten your smile. Dentists often use dental veneers to cover up stubborn stains that do not respond well to professional teeth whitening in a dentist’s office near you.
- Chipped, cracked, or broken teeth – the structural elements of your smile are fixable with dental veneers. Veneers can mask a crack or chip on your teeth.
- Unusually short teeth – when your teeth are shorter than they should be, it can give the appearance of a gummy smile. Dental veneers can elongate your teeth and improve the aesthetics of your smile.
- Worn down teeth – enamel thinning is a critical problem among certain people. While it commonly occurs due to aging, excessive teeth grinding and consumption of acidic foods can also wear down your teeth. Dental veneers are a perfect solution for restoring worn-down teeth to improve their functionality and appearance.
Common Types of Dental Veneers and Their Benefits
At South Star Dental, some of the options we have for veneer teeth are:
1. Porcelain Veneers
They feature porcelain material. These are among the most expensive veneer teeth because of the high quality of the porcelain material. Some of the benefits of porcelain veneers include:
- Natural-looking results – since they blend perfectly with natural teeth.
- Stain resistance
- Sturdy material – they are hard to break or chip.
- Durability – porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years or longer with proper care.
- Comfortable – porcelain has a smooth tooth-like texture that is gentle to the mouth.
2. Composite Veneers
They are veneer teeth that feature composite resin material. Composite is a tooth-colored resin typical for other procedures like tooth fillings. The putty-like material must be hardened, shaped, and polished to achieve the desired results. Even though they are strong, composite veneers are less sturdy than porcelain veneers. Some of their benefits are:
- Natural-looking results
- Less invasive procedure – compared to the process of getting porcelain veneers.
- More affordable than porcelain veneers.
- Easy to repair if they crack or chip.
- Entails a quick procedure completed in one dental visit
- Durable – lasting anywhere between 5 and 7 years.
3. Removable Veneers
They are removable dental veneers, also known as snap-on veneers. These instant teeth fit on your mouth similar to mouthguards, so you place them in hot water before wearing them. A higher quality of removable veneers needs customization by your dentist. Such would require taking impressions of your teeth to generate veneer teeth tailored to your smile. The benefits of removable veneers are:
- Are quick restorations for your smile
- Allow for flexibility of use
- No invasive procedure is necessary for your treatment.
They are ultra-thin porcelain laminates that provide a quick alternative to porcelain veneers. They have the following advantages:
- They are reversible – since no preparation of your teeth is necessary, you can reverse your procedure if you want.
- No invasive procedure
- Slightly less expensive than porcelain veneers
Looking for dental veneers in La Marque, TX? Call us now to schedule your appointment with our dentist in La Marque, TX at South Star Dental today!